Message from the Maths Team:
We have invested significantly in online resources to support learners. I think it vital to update you on these and their uses to ensure you and your child are clear of how to continue to improve / review / challenge their maths learning during these unprecedented times.
Although Google Classroom is the vehicle The JCB Academy will use to communicate work, the Maths Team will utilise these other resources as they are specifically designed and award-winning platforms for our subject. We will still be logged into Google Classrooms during lesson times as per other subjects to respond to learners and provide support but feedback may also be provided directly in Hegarty Maths for example.
Hegarty Maths is the go to resource overall during these times of distance learning, or for those who will be attending. The key for learners is that they must fully engage with the learning videos prior to attempting the quizzes or requesting feedback support from the teacher. This function should only be used when a real effort to solve the problem has been made. If learners don’t have their online learning books at home with them it will be important to have pencil and paper to hand still in order to work out questions properly.
Additionally, whilst exams may not take place, it is essential to remember that learning and progress are critical to being prepared for the next stage of education. Learners should maintain the same levels of focus and ensure they are prepared well for their coming phase of education, employment or training.
- pinpointlearning.co.uk (Learners have personal login details – contact teacher to retrieve if needed) – online analysis of exam papers with targeted next steps work. Dynamic Revision Matrix which targets work to complete on Hegarty Maths. Virtual Exam Folder which reviews performance on specific papers and targets support work for Hegarty Maths.
- hegartymaths.com (login is via school name and then DOB – learners will have set their own password already – if forgotten, click the ‘forgotten password’ button – the teacher will be notified and can click for the learner to reset it – when they try to login again it will look as if they are being asked for the password again but this is actually asking them to create a new password) – TOP award winning learning and assessment platform – learners use quizzes to support review or new learning then take online assessments – these are marked immediately with the chance to correct mistakes initially – if a further mistake is made they can then submit this question to their teacher for feedback support which will come directly back through to Hegarty Maths when the teacher completes it – many videos do have work along sheets if access to printing is available
- mathsgenie.co.uk/gcse.html – free to use open site – grade by grade topic based exam questions and worked solutions
- mymaths.co.uk – (Learners have personal login details – contact teacher to retrieve if needed) – online learning platform with guided lessons, practice activities and assessments. These are organised by topic, grade and foundation / higher exam tier. There are also Booster Packs for certain key grades that can be found in the left hand menu – minimise ‘Library’ first.
- corbettmaths.com – free to use open site – 5 a day varied practice, revision, videos, practice exercises by topic
- piximaths.co.uk – free to use open site – revision booklets and passports with solutions
- Further Maths – Learners who were planning to complete the Further Maths qualification / planning to move on to A Level Maths (grade 7 Maths would be the usual minimum requirement for entry) can use the following to continue to support this work which will support a smoother transition to A level maths – Corbett Maths Further Maths area, Grade 8-9 Booster on MyMaths, Pixi Maths Grade 7-9 booklets and passports.
NB – MyMaths and Hegarty Maths have in-built tracking so that you, your child and the Maths team at the Academy can keep up to date with progress and engagement.
I hope this helps you have a better understanding of the work your child can access at home and how we will be able to continue to monitor their progress and provide feedback where required as much as is possible within each session time.
Thank you in advance for your support and understanding during these challenging and unsettling times.
The JCB Academy Maths Team