Automotive engineering incorporates elements of mechanical, electrical, electronic, software, and safety engineering as applied to the design, manufacture and operation of motorcycles, automobiles, and trucks and their respective engineering subsystems. It also includes modification of vehicles.
Your Career Pathway
- School – The JCB Academy specialises in Engineering and Business, and with an extensive engineering curriculum you will develop a good understanding of engineering. You can join The JCB Academy at either Year 9 or Year 10.
- Further Education – When you finish school you have the option to go on to further education, where you could study STEM based A-levels or a specific engineering diploma. At The JCB Academy Sixth Form we specialise in Engineering and Business, and offer both STEM based A-levels and a variety of engineering specific diplomas.
- Apprenticeships – Several former students of The JCB Academy / Sixth Form have gained apprenticeships in automotive companies such as Aston Martin Lagonda, Bentley Motors, Jaguar Land Rover and Toyota, who all offer apprenticeships in automotive engineering and related subjects.
- University – Several universities including Birmingham and Loughborough offer courses in automotive engineering.
- Case studies
- Bentley Motors – Phoebe, a former academy and sixth form student gained an apprenticeship at Bentley Motors, view Phoebe’s case study on our sixth form website by clicking here.
- Aston Martin Lagonda – Sam, a former JCB Academy Sixth Form student gained an apprenticeship at Aston Martin Lagonda, view Sam’s case study on our sixth form website by clicking here.
- Jaguar Land Rover – Ashley, a former JCB Academy Sixth Form student gained an apprenticeship at Jaguar Land Rover, view Ashley’s case study on our sixth form website by clicking here.